Wether you are looking for a good camera to snap your travel moments, or just a beginner who’s found passion in photography, this article is for you! We’ll give you a couple of insights to main differences between models and also – recommendations of cameras for you to buy and enjoy.
As a passionate traveler myself, I’ve always wanted to bring something more than a smartphone on a nice trip. And that’s something my travel companions have always made fun of. ,,Why must you carry the extra weight of a camera, when you have the newest smartphone?!” – they say. It’s no doubt, that today’s phones make such good pictures, that are hard to distinguish from a non-smartphone one… for the untrained eye, like mine that is.
But, with the proper gear, you can snap and immortalize your wonderful travel experiences and still travel lightly. Or just have fun as a photography enthusiast. All of this, in a way no phone can do it. Here is our list of best cameras for traveling and leisure, Mirrorless, DSLR & Compact, as of 2018.
1. We begin with the ,,Mirrorless camera”.
Short intro into what Mirrorless camera is.
Mirrorless camera means exactly what it sounds. It does not require a reflex mirror. The reflex mirror reflects the light up to the optical viewfinder, which is a key component in other cameras, such as the DSLR models. The mirrorless camera doesn’t have an optical viewfinder. So Instead, the camera’s imaging sensor is exposed to light at all times. It uses the same style of mounting lenses as the DSLR. But every brand produces its own mirrorless lenses, so they are not freely interchangeable.
Are they better than DSLRs? They aren’t better or worse, although being fairly new. They have advantages when it comes to shooting videos, but a disadvantage in battery life. Some say it ”…has the power of the DSLR, minus the bulk”. Mirrorless cameras are more portable and compact and are popular choices among travelers and casual photographers, who don’t care much about the battery. In the end it’s about you and what you prefer.
Here are our top picks of Mirrorless cameras for 2018 with their characteristics:
• Panasonic G80 / G85 mirrorless camera
- Less bulky than a DSLR, the LUMIX G85 is the compact 4K video-enabled Micro Four Thirds Mirrorless (DSLM) camera with true-to-life photo image quality
- Class leading 5-axis body stabilization that when mated to LUMIX 2-axis optically stabilized lenses for a “Dual IS” effect
- 4K Video recording at 30p/24p 100 Mbps plus a 3.5mm port for external microphones. (Full HD 60p 28Mbps). Flash type TTL Built-in-Flash, GN9.0 equivalent (ISO200 ・m) / GN6.2 equivalent (ISO100 ・m), Built-in Pop-up (Reference）
- Weather sealed splash proof and dustproof, rugged enough to withstand even the most challenging environments
- 16-Megapixel MFT eliminates the need for low-pass sensor filters while boosting fine detail resolving power sensor
- Recording file format: Still image – JPEG (DCF, Exif 2.3), RAW, MPO (When attaching 3D lens in Micro Four Thirds system standard) ; Motion picture – AVCHD (Audio format: Dolby Digital 2ch), MP4 (Audio format: AAC 2ch)
The compact LUMIX G85 body and 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 lens include cutting-edge video, audio, creative controls, image stabilization and more. And with LUMIX 4K Photo you can pick your perfect moment from individual video frames to save as high-res pictures. A new electromagnetic drive in the shutter unit dramatically reduces the shock created by movement of the diaphragm and shutter sound is significantly minimized. A Live View Finder with 0.74x (35mm equiv.) magnification ratio lets you frame and capture everything you see. Plus, 2360K-dot high resolution and 100% color reproduction provide high visibility.
• Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III
- In-body 5-axis image stabilization for blur-free stills and smooth 4K video
- 16 Megapixel Live MOS Sensor and TruePic VIII Image Processor
- 4K 30P video plus HD 120 frames per second high-speed video
- Timeless, easy to use body design. Compact & lightweight with 2 dials, arrow pad and Shortcut button
- 3.0″ tilting LCD monitor with intuitive touch screen operation and touch AF one step shutter release
The Olympus E-M10 mark III and 14-42mm EZ lens kit has been specially designed for people who love photography and need the perfect system to get started. The E-M10 mark III is small and lightweight so it’s convenient to take everywhere. The new intuitive touch screen interface and shortcut button make camera settings easy. Touch AF lets you instantly focus and trip the shutter with one touch of your subject on the tilting screen. And with foolproof in-body image stabilization, you’ll easily shoot blur-free stills and smooth 4K video, all handheld, no tripod or other stabilizing gear needed.
- New 26.1MP X-Trans CMOS 4 sensor with X-Processor 4 image processing engine
- 4K movie recording – internal SD card 4K/60P 4: 2: 0 10bit recording and the first Mirrorless digital camera with APS-C or larger sensor that is capable of 4K/60P 4: 2: 2 10bit HDMI output.
- 2.16M phase detection pixels across entire frame and Low-light phase detection limits has been increased over X-T2 by 2 Stops, from -1EV to -3EV
- 3.69 million dot OLED Color viewfinder with 0.75x magnification and blackout-free burst shooting
- 16 film Simulation modes: including eterna/cinema, B & w adjustment: -9~+9
The X-T3 is a high performance premium camera that will become an inseparable partner in your artistic journey. Everything about this camera has been designed to completely satisfy your photography and videography needs in a robust magnesium alloy body that is ready for the toughest of conditions. The FUJIFILM X-T3 features a 3.69-million-dot high resolution EVF with a high magnification ratio of 0.75x. The display time lag of just 0.005 seconds and refresh rate of approx. 100fps* ensure smooth display and allows you to precisely identify subject movements and focus positions.
- New larger Z mount for revolutionary optical performance
- Nikon-designed 45.7MP backside Illuminated image sensor with no optical low pass filter (OLPF)
- 493-Point on-sensor phase detect AF system and up to 9 fps
- 4K ultra-HD video; 8K time-lapse; 120/1080P slow motion
- Compatible with new Z nikkor lenses, over 360 F-mount nikkor lenses and a variety of Nikon system Accessories
Forget about stopping down for maximum sharpness—Nikkor Z are at their best and deliver corner-to-corner sharpness even at their widest aperture. Capture cinematic 16:9 4K UHD/30p video in full-frame using the total width and resolution of the Z 7’s backside-illuminated sensor. Clean output at high ISO. Zero crop factor with full-frame Nikkor Z and F-Mount Nikkor lenses. Full-pixel readout in DX Mode for sharper 4K footage with rich information equivalent to 5K. Focus Peaking in both 4K and 1080p recording. Simultaneous 8MP stills*. This is 4K as it was meant to be.
2. DSLR cameras
What is a digital lens-single reflex (DSLR) camera?
DSLRs managed to replace film-based SLRs in the 2000s. Despite the rising popularity of the Mirrorless cameras, they still remain the most common choice amongst buyers. And the most used interchangeable lens camera in use as of 2018.
is a digital camera that combines the optics and the mechanisms of a single-lens reflex camera with a digital imaging sensor, as opposed to photographic film. The reflex design scheme is the primary difference between a DSLR and other digital cameras. In the reflex design, light travels through the lens, then to a mirror that alternates to send the image to either the viewfinder or the image sensor.
Here are our top pics of DSLR cameras of 2018 with their characteristics:
- Class leading image quality, ISO range, image processing and metering equivalent to the award-winning D500
- Large 3.2” 922K dot, tilting LCD screen with touch functionality. Temperature: 0 °C to 40 °C (+32 °F to 104 °F) Humidity: 85% or less (no condensation)
- 51-point AF system with 15 cross-type sensors and group-area AF paired with up to 8 fps continuous shooting capability
- 4K Ultra HD and 1080p Full HD video with stereo sound, power aperture control, auto ISO, 4K UHD Time-Lapse and more
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for easy connectivity through the Nikon SnapBridge App
Born from a desire for flagship performance and innovation in a more compact and streamlined connected camera, the D7500 delivers the game-changing resolution, ISO range, image processing and energy efficiency of the DX flagship D500 in an enthusiast-level DSLR. Simply put, the D7500 is built to outperform any camera in its class with top-tier image quality, blazing speed, flawless autofocus, 4K Ultra HD video and pro-grade creative tools—all in a comfortable, rugged design. This is a camera for the new generation of creators.
- 30.4 MP full-frame CMOS sensor for versatile shooting
- Up to 7.0 frames per second continuous shooting speed
- 61-point AF system with 41 cross-points for expanded vertical coverage
- ISO range 100-32000 with 50-102400 expansion
- 4K video recording at 30p or 24p and in-camera still frame grab of 8.8MP images
- Touch-screen LCD monitor
See Legendary! The EOS 5D Mark IV delivers high-resolution still and 4K video files with incredible clarity and detail. It pairs a 30.4 Megapixel full-frame sensor with a 61-point AF system and more operational enhancements. See legendary with inspiring performance you can rely on for your most important ideas. The full-frame sensor delivers phenomenal results with efficiency and ease no matter the assignment. The EOS 5D Mark IV camera incorporates Canon’s impressive technological and engineering know-how into an SLR that delivers stunning still photographs and 4K video virtually anywhere.
- 36 MP AA filter-less shake reduction sensor with APS-C crop mode for compatibility with Pentax k-mount lenses
- Hand Held Pixel Shift Resolution that allows 4 images to be complied into an superior image with increased color rendition and sharpness
- Engine Accelerometer for reduced image noise, faster focusing and increased image sharpness
- Magnesium Alloy, Weather Resistant body for every demanding situation
- Astro-tracer extended exposure mode with reduced star trails
Pentax K-1 Mark II DSLR Camera was designed to be the new flagship of the acclaimed PENTAX K-series lineup. In addition to the outstanding image quality, this model provides excellent super-high-sensitivity imaging performance and much-improved operability. The newly improved PRIME IV imaging engine, assures flawless, high-speed operation and excellent noise-reduction, improving image quality and super-high-sensitivity imaging performance. The PENTAX-developed Pixel Shift Resolution System has been upgraded to the Pixel Shift Resolution System II. This system features a newly developed Dynamic Pixel Shift Resolution mode, which allows the photographer to capture super-high-sensitivity images in handheld shooting, by detecting the slight fluctuations of the subject’s position during continuous shooting. In addition to the conventional shooting style using a tripod, this innovative mode provides a new option for the photographer to enjoy super-high-sensitivity photography with a wider variety of subjects and scenes.
- Nikon-designed back-side illuminated (BSI) full-frame image sensor with no optical low-pass filter
- 45.7 megapixels of extraordinary resolution, outstanding dynamic range and virtually no risk of moiré
- Up to 9 fps1 continuous shooting at full resolution with full AF performance
- 8K6 and 4K time-lapse movies with new levels of sharpness and detail. File system : DCF 2.0, Exif 2.31, PictBridge
- Tilting touchscreen, Focus Shift shooting mode, outstanding battery performance and much more.Total Pixels: 46.89 million
- 4K Ultra HD video recording, slow motion up to 120 FPS at 1080p
D850: Extreme Resolution Meets Extreme Speed. When Nikon introduced the D800 and D800E, it set a new benchmark for DSLR image quality and super high resolution photography that approached medium format. Now, five years later, Nikon proudly introduces the next evolution in high resolution DSLRs, a camera that allows photographers to capture fast action in 45.7 megapixels of brilliant resolution. With remarkable advancements across the board—sensor design, autofocus, dynamic range, sensitivity, Speedlight control, battery life, shutter and mirror drive mechanisms, Silent Photography in Live-View mode, focus shift capability and more—this is quite possibly the most impressive, well-rounded DSLR yet.
3. And now to throw in a bit of our favourite Compact-sized cameras for traveling, ideal for careless tourist experience
- [Larger 1 Inch Sensor] 20.1 Megapixels large sensor for brighter and more colorful photos (12800 Max ISO).
- [LEICA DC 15x Lens] Leading class optical zoom performance with a bright F3.3 – 6.4 aperture for soft defocus background effects. (24-360mm, 5 Axis Hybrid O.I.S.+)
- [Creative Control] Scene modes, filter modes, adds creativity while traditional aperture and shutter priority modes allow for background defocus or eliminate sports motion blur.
- [4K Features] 4K Video 30p, 4K PHOTO, and 4K Live Crop turn 4K frame capture into photography.
- [Electronic Viewfinder] plus a touch-enabled LCD for greater control and easier image viewing.
Your Perfect Travel Companion. Capture every moment in exceptional color and detail day or night, both close and far away. Sleek and pocket-size, the ZS200 includes a powerful 15x optical zoom, large 1-inch MOS sensor for high-quality imaging in low-light conditions, 4K video and photo, WiFi connectivity and a Leica DC Lens. Good low light performance comes from larger sensors. The LUMIX ZS200 features a High-sensitivity 1-inch 20.1 Megapixel MOS sensor capable of 12800 ISO for excellent low-light performance.
- 24.2 Megapixel* CMOS (APS-C) sensor.
- 3x zoom Lens (24-72mm^^) with optical image stabilizer.
- Dual pixel CMOS AF with phase-detection.
- Digic 7 image processor, Iso 100-25600.
A DSLR sensor camera, that fits in your pocket. The new flagship in the premium G-Series lineup, the PowerShot G1 X Mark III camera breaks new ground as the first Canon compact digital camera to feature a large 24.2 Megapixel1 APS-C sensor for detailed images and Dual Pixel CMOS AF for fast autofocus. A wealth of advanced features including a built-in electronic viewfinder, a 3.0-inch Vari-Angle Touchscreen LCD with Touch and Drag AF and built-in Wi-Fi2, NFC3 and Bluetooth4 technology offer impressive performance in virtually any situation.
- New 12MP Hi-Speed Image Sensor for improved low light performance and noise reduction
- Underwater: compensation: -2 EV to +2 EV (in 1/3 EV steps). Bright F2.0 high-speed Lens. Video Recording format : MOV(MPEG-4AVC/H.264)
- Dual Quad Core TruePic VIII Image Processor. 3.0 inches 460k-Dot LCD Monitor. Focus Range Normal: 3.94 inches (10 cm) to Infinity. Macro: 0.4 inches (1 cm) to Infinity
- Field sensor system with GPS, Manometer, Compass, and temperature sensors
- Waterproof to 50 feet, F, Dustproof, Crushproof to 220 lbf, Shockproof from 7 feet, Freezeproof to 14 degrees, Anti-Fog lens
Meet Olympus’s tough new player. Rugged. Durable. Tough. Now Add Smart. Get awesome imaging power with the Olympus Tough TG-5. It’s waterproof (50 ft / 15 m), shockproof (7 ft / 2.1 m), crushproof (220 lbf / 100 kgf), freezeproof (14°F / -10°C), and dustproof to survive everything from a grueling hike through mountains to a 5-year-old playing with it by the pool. The TG-5’s rugged design is packed with pro shooting features like an F2.0 high-speed lens, 20 fps burst shooting in RAW, and anti-fog dual pane glass for spectacular images in every environment.
- 24-200mm F2.8-F4.5 ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T lens
- World’s fastest (0.03 sec) hybrid AF system (contrast + phase)
- Battery life:Up to 330 shots / 165 minutes
- In-the-box: Rechargeable Battery Pack NP-BX1, AC Adaptor, Micro USB cable, Wrist Strap, Strap Adapter
The RX100 VI features an impressive 24-200mm1 F2.8 – F4.5 high magnification ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* zoom lens, yet sacrifices none of the pocket-size portability, speed capabilities and high image quality that has become the hallmark of Sony’s RX100 lineup. The 1” (1.0-type) 20.1MP Exmor RS stacked CMOS image sensor with DRAM chip and an upgraded BIONZ X image processing system with a front-end LSI maximizes processing speed and optimizes image quality in all shooting environments, while the incredibly efficient Fast Hybrid AF system with 315 focal-plane phase-detection AF points can acquire focus in as little as 0.03 seconds and shoot at up to 24 fps at full resolution with continuous AF/AE tracking and produces beautiful 4Kvii video with full pixel readout and no pixel binning.
Those were our best and favourite Mirrorless, DSLR and Compact picks of cameras for traveling. Have you used some of those before and what are your experiences with them? Which other model would you add to our list?
Share your opinion with us, we value it!
Until next time,
OwlKnow wishes you lots of awesome and breathtaking sights for you to shoot!